Do you want to learn how to build a website on WordPress by implementing the best practices?
Let us dwell on another question-
Are you looking at what will be required to get started with WordPress and launch a beautiful responsive site with intuitive functionality that impresses your visitors?
If that’s the case, you have hit the right chord and reached the right destination.
WordPress has become one of the prominent choices for many big giants due to its flexibility, security, easy usability, and availability of plugins.
Before launching a beautifully aesthetic website, you need to learn its fundamentals and step-by-step process.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) with thousands of pre-built website designs and extensions that helps in creating a customizable, beautiful, and responsive website.
9 points to learn WordPress step by step for building a website-
Step1: You need a domain and web hosting
Before diving into the WordPress installation, you need a domain and hosting to set up your website. A domain name is a physical address of your website and comes after the part www. or in simple terms, it’s your website name. Hosting is a webspace that offers you to publish your website on the internet.
Step2: Select a domain
While selecting a domain, you should ensure that-
• It should be relatively short because it’s easier to parse, share, copy and embed in a particular place.
• Don’t select the complicated name; otherwise, your visitors don’t remember it, and it becomes difficult for them to type out.
• It would be great to select the top-level domain such as .com, .edu, .biz, etc.
• It needs to be chosen in a way that relates to your brand name.
Step 3: Choose WordPress web host
Many companies offer you web hosting services. While selecting hosting services, you need to focus on four things-
• Speed- The server load speed needs to be less than 300ms.
• Uptime- It should provide at least 99% availability so that you can offer a good user experience.
• Customer service- your customer service helps you out if you have any queries.
• Your needs & requirements- your web hosting services should align with your business size & type.
Is free hosting a good option?
With free hosting services, you may face slow loading speed, no customer support, limited bandwidth, limited pages, common outages, and lots of downtimes. Hence, it is always recommended to use paid services for better scalability, security, and reliability.
Step 4: Install WordPress
WordPress is not a normal desktop app like Microsoft Word and will install on a web server. Install WordPress in five steps
• Download the latest version from WordPress.org.
• Upload the WordPress software to the hosting account.
• Create a MySQL database by entering a unique name. Also, create a user and provide the permissions to access and modify the database.
• Configure wp-config.php, core WordPress files containing the database, host, username, and password information.
• Run the installation, finish it, and set up your new website.
Step 5: Learn WordPress dashboards
WordPress dashboards offer you access to all the tools, create website pages, add content and tweak website functionality to provide a seamless user experience.
Step 6: Configure your WordPress settings
Before publishing your content, you need to configure basic settings which ensure that you are extracting the most out of this platform. The settings involve-
• General screen settings
• Writing screen settings
• Reading screen settings
• Discussion screen settings
• Media screen settings
• Permalinks screen settings
• Privacy screen settings
Step 7: Select a WordPress theme
There are 10,000+ themes available and hence choosing the right theme is essential. The tips for choosing the right theme-
• Determine which features are important and use the WordPress feature filter to make it easy to get the theme based on your needs.
• Don’t select the bloated theme, clutter with features; otherwise, it will lower your site performance.
• Select a responsive theme that works best on multiple devices.
• Choose the right color to make it appear nice and readable. For example, if you need to select between dark and light, statistically, it has been revealed that visitors prefer light color themes.
• Choose a theme that has readable fonts; otherwise, your visitors may abandon your site if they find the fonts hard to read.
Step 8: Install plugins
Plugins are vital for your website to enhance the functionality of your site. With 55,000 plugins available, you need to select them based on your needs. Some of the popular plugins are
• Yoast SEO
• Wordfence Security
• Contact form 7
• Elementor Website Builder
• Classic Editor
• All-in-one WP Migration
• Google Analytics Dashboard Plugin
• Really Simple SSL
Step 9: Add posts to your website
After the settings, theme, and plugin installation, it’s time to post quality content. You need to go to the admin dashboard, click the option “posts”, add a title, place pictures, format it and click publish to see your post live.
What is the best way to learn WordPress?
Many free resources are available online that offer you to learn and understand WordPress. They will help you install the WordPress, themes, and plugins and publish the content on your site. But if you are looking for the best way, look no further than structured and in-depth paid courses. They will help you dig deeper and understand the fundamentals and advanced-level insights. The good thing about it is that you will get personalized mentoring and a strong learning network that will skyrocket your skills in less time. Are you looking for a course that will cover everything from basics to advanced? Check out here for more information.
Learning WordPress and launching your website is not a daunting task, provided you have the in-depth knowledge, tips, and tricks. However, to leverage the optimum use of your knowledge, you should consider it by launching your website to gain valuable insights.